Sunday, November 1, 2009

Wow, my niece is 18

We celebrated my niece's 18th birthday Sunday.

I remember meeting her for the first time 16 years ago. Always a smile on her face, and a laugh that made you warm inside.

Here she is 18 and a few months away from heading to college.

Where has the time gone.

It went by with her playing softball, volleyball and basketball. Going to her first dance, sitting through her uncle's career day presentation, and doing the things kids do.

Kaleigh is quite the young woman.

She might not be sure where the journey is taking her, but she is ready.

Mom and Dad have prepared her. There will always be a little more growing up to do.

It is a pleasure to be her uncle. I have loved when I get to talk to her. I throw those tough questions out that I don't ask in front of the family.

How is life really going? Are you happy in what you are doing, really? Is your uncle a dork?

I even get on her to fill out the paperwork for the college scholarships that can help her pay for her education. I do it as an uncle can do, in a kidding but firm way.

Kaleigh, the world is at your command.

No comments:

Post a Comment