Monday, November 2, 2009

Living in a fantasy world

Do people get a little too attached to their favorite shows or networks?

I ponder that question after having a bad experience on Facebook today.

In the end, all turned out all right, but it did strike a nerve.

I commented on a cable channel Facebook page I follow. One of the on-air talents is off this week. I joked about how much time the person had for vacation. I added Laughing Out Loud (LOL) as well.

That message was met with a stern statement from a fan who said the on-air person had been on assignment the week before.

I told the person to lighten up.

I guess this person didn't like that and told me to look in the mirror. And the person called me honey.

I have a lot of white hair in the photo I use on Facebook. I have earned that hair color.

After letting the Polish-Hungarian blood boil, I responded with an explanation that I joke with these on-air people. I like them. Just a little banter between media people. I told the poster I didn't know they took the network that serious and apologized.

I received a reply back that offered an apology and explained she was tired of all the people complaining about the on-air talent and changes in programming since the network had been bought.

Upon telling the story to a co-worker, she said to some people this is their life.

It might be why people follow a certain writer or actor. We feel we know them like family. In truth, we see a side of them, just like you and I see a side of people.

But what happens after the lights go off on stage or in the studio? These media people go on with their lives.

Reality hits us.

It is nice to be a fan, which is short for fanatic. But we need to live in the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment