Sunday, November 15, 2009

Lighting up the season for the right reason

Saturday was a wonderful day. Temperatures near 70 and lots of sunshine.

I took time to replace the light strands on the big Christmas wreath we hang on the front of our home.

Let me back up here.

A year ago, I was trying to hang it when I found that a bunch of lights didn't work. After about an hour of replacing bulbs, I angrily decided the wreath was staying down.

For the past year, it has haunted me. It was the anger I had.

In the past 12 months I have recalled from time to time that anger and the reason for Christmas is rejoicing in the birth of Jesus and sharing it with family and friends.

In the hour or so it took to remove the old strands of lights and put the new ones on, I drank in the moment.

The new strands have a white cord. I took time to weave them into the green branches.

I wasn't trying to hide them as much as taking time to remember what peace on earth and goodwill toward men means.

The wreath goes up and is lit after Thanksgiving. I will enjoy it more than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment