Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Taking flight

"Fly, robin fly! ... up, up to the sky ..."
I thought of those lyrics from a song recorded by Silver Convention back in 1975 on Tuesday (June 5).
I sang those words after watching a now matured robin take off from its nest located in a wreath on the front porch of my home.

The bird chirped a few times as I watched and then flew for about 40 feet before landing at the end of the driveway.
Chirping from a nearby tree was momma Robin.
It was amazing to be there watching.
Like when a baby takes those first wobbly steps.
It reminded me off a Mom who probably saw something similar when her child left the house to start his career and adult life.
The baby bird's chirping and looking at me made me feel as if it was saying, "Look what I can do!"
I thanked God for that precious moment to witness the momentous location.
Little things such as this help when the big moments, good or bad, can scare us.
There was no doubt in my mind that when I raised the garage door and saw the bird that it was a big scary moment for it.
But after it landed, it hopped across the street and flapped its wings a few more times.
Such a simple thing.
Maybe seeing all this helped make for a calm day.
On and off during the day, I sang "Fly, robin fly!" in my head. I whistled it a few times as well.
When I returned home from work late in the afternoon. I heard chirping coming from the backyard.
There on the neighbor's privacy fence stood momma and her youngster.
More flying and learning taking place.
I'm glad they hung around to let me take it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment