Friday, December 23, 2011

Mom and holiday baking

Damn you, Mom.


As I stood at the kitchen sink washing and drying dishes tonight, I thought back to the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Christmas time was the time of year for your baking goodies that made all magical.

Your chocolate chip cookies through the year were and are the greatest cookie ever made.

But at Christmas ... you brought out the index cards and books with the holiday recipes.

The cookies made with the cookie press were fun to watch be pressed out on the cookie sheet.

Green and red Christmas trees, wreaths and Scotty dogs. Add the peanut butter version of the dogs and Jeff was in aromatic heaven.

I haven't even mentioned the little rolled dough ball cookies with the chopped walnuts inside and powdered sugar added after they were cooled form the oven.

I would sit at the kitchen table and talk. I would help when needed.

We listened to the radio (WASK-AM) and the Christmas music.

I sat in amazement at all you did during a regular day and then threw in the baking.

Just now I realize all the work you put in to making Christmas a tasty time for us.

But I now realize the look on your face.

It was not one of labor.

No. It was one of love and understanding.

It was the most wonderful time of the year.

Dad may have brought home goodies from the people he served on his U.S. Post Office route, but Mom's treats were the best.

How I miss those days.

I still love sitting at a kitchen table and talking.

It was the place at Grandma and Grandpa Malinowski's where world events were discussed, as well as gossip of the family and other topics.

But it was always the best seat in the house for baking at Casa Bonty.

Even today, Mom will surprise with a small container of cookies.

They don't survive long before I devour them.

The taste is the same as back as a child and the memories flow.

Damn you, Mom.

I will never ever forget it.



No comments:

Post a Comment