Friday, September 10, 2010

A co-worker heads off to France and a new adventure

Today was the last day for one of my co-workers.

Caleb Benoit is taking a sabbatical and traveling to France. He will be teaching English at several schools in France.

The wiser than his years Benoit took French in high school and college.

I thought about giving him a bottle of ketchup for his fries. I thought better since he needs room for his tennis racket and hiking shoes.

The 27-year-old will be in France for nine months. Besides teaching, he will traveling to other European countries.

He has a fondness for tennis and auto racing, and Europe has both in abundance.

For the past eight years, I have enjoyed working with this young man.

He has a dry sense of humor and is not afraid to challenge even his older co-workers.

Caleb has made this middle age man think a lot more.

At times he has reminded me of a young person I knew.

Morning deadline lines at the newspaper will not be the same.

In a couple of weeks, Caleb jets off to France. His parents will sorely miss their son.

They should take heart in this -- they have raised a fine, young man. He is making the world a better place.

Safe travels my friend.

We will carry the torch for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment