Monday, October 4, 2010

Enjoy life while you can

Laura is a classmate of mine.



Her dad passed away last week. He waged a battle with cancer for three years.



But before he passed, Laura's parents were able to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.



One last gift to give a couple who raised five children.



When Laura informed me last Friday of her father's death, she wrote, "I hate cancer."



Laura was relieved her father was no longer in pain.



But the bastard disease just zaps the life out of a family.



Of course, Laura and her family will mourn and remember.



The family made so many memories.



It is hard to understand why death has to be so agonizing for all involved.



What will this pain do for those who remain?



Will they grow stronger, closer or wiser?



Only they will know.



I guess I would like to have reservations made for a loved one's departure, especially parents.



Then I could get all the questions to life answered. Say "I love" to Mom and Dad a zillion times.



Take them places to thank them for what they do and did for me.



As the wife of a co-worker told me Saturday, "You sure change your perspective on life after you have cancer."



She is a cancer survivor. A recent six-month checkup was good.



"You don't worry about things, and you do the things you want to do," she added.



So while we hate cancer, we can also look at the world in simpler terms.



Enjoy life while you can. You don't know when it will all be taken away.

No comments:

Post a Comment