Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A stereo, toys and music appreciation

The Towncraft stereo was situated in my parents’ bedroom, on a metal contraption also known as a 1960's-style entertainment center.


How did it end up in the bedroom? I guess that was because we didn't have the room for it in the living room.
But it worked out great as a preteen.

I would bring in my construction trucks and other toys, playing with them on the bed while listening to The Beatles, The Monkees, Elvis and many others.

I feel this was the time I began to appreciate music. Music was a wonderful gift given to me by my Dad.

I would not think that when I got in my high school years. Dad was always telling me to turn the stereo down in my room. No giving the neighbors a concert.

I loved sitting or laying on my parent's bed playing and listening. There were times I just laid on the bed and listened. I was amazed that people could make instruments make such cool sounds.

That Towncraft could really crank it. Much better than the little record player I shared with my brother. Or, I should say when he allowed me to use it. I think that is the way it went.

It was just a great time.

Some 40 years later, I realized it was Dad who got me hooked on The Beatles.

He was the one who brought home the albums and then the 8-track tapes.

I am blown away that Dad purchased “Magical Mystery Tour” along with Boots Randolph and Eddy Arnold.

Then again, I was the one who got my Dad hooked on classical music. I did that by listening to it while studying as a college student.

It is much easier to concentrate while listening to Beethoven, rather than Electric Light Orchestra jamming Roll Over Beethoven.

It is just amazing how music bridges age gaps.

On Sunday mornings after going to Mass, Dad set up shop in the kitchen to cook dinner.

The way Dad explains it he loved peeling potatoes during Kitchen Patrol (KP) duty while he served in the Air Force.

I could tell. Dad cut some mean spuds after peeling. He was precise in his cuts, much like a master chef.

Dad would listen to music while cooking.

It was rock and roll from the 1950s from radio stations in Fort Wayne, Ind., (WOWO-AM) and Indianapolis (WFBQ-FM).

That’s right. Before it became progressive rock, Q95 played the golden oldies of rock.

It was a tasty Sunday, food and tunes.

Oh, and Dad would sing.

He was a member of the prestigious A Capella Choir at Jefferson High School in Lafayette.

He has some golden pipes. Only age has quieted them. That and asthma.

Dad can still hum a mean tune.

While he rides shotgun in his car as I am driving on trips to Pennsylvania, Dad still enjoys humming along with the music.

You can take the ability to bellow from a man, but not the love of music.



No comments:

Post a Comment