Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Carnivals, games of chance and root beer

Growing up, I loved going to carnivals and fairs.


There was always something exciting happening at these events.

Games of chance were fun.

One time, I had a great run at the ring toss. I racked up some mighty fine winnings, bottles of pop.

Nice to win them; but it was hell to lug them around.

The year I won the bottles was an election year.

Richard Lugar, who I think was still mayor of Indianapolis was at this fair. He was running for U.S. Senate. I believe he lost that race.

 Even back then, I liked politics, and I knew who he was.

I went over to talk to him lugging the bottles. He must have thought I was a wack job. I could see it in his eyes. Better yet, I think he rolled them a few times and was looking for one of his aides to have me carted off.

But he was nice enough to talk to me and discuss current events.

Then there was the time I learned that drinking root beer and then getting on a ride were not a good mix.

I love root beer. There is just something about the just came out of the barrel taste.  So I enjoyed one at a fair.

I was there with a friend and we got on this ride that was like an airplane.

Of course, those rides get cranked up.

It was a great ride, but I was a bit dizzy after the ride stopped, as I recall.

There was the rush and I felt hot. Then the sweat came pouring out.

That is when I got a reverse root beer fizz.

It came back up and through my nostrils.

Boy, it sure did burn.

Even with the burning sensation in the nose, I felt much better.

To this day, I do not drink pop before hitting the rides at amusement parks. Now, I need a pop after a ride to settle my spinning head. I have to remember I am not as young as I used to be.

I haven't even got to the good stuff of all the free junk you could get going through the business tents.

So much junk and I felt they were the best treasures ever.

Hand fans were awesome. Don't forget all the cool looking buttons the politicians handed out.

Then there were bumper stickers, balloons, emery boards and books of matches. Treasures I thought of all of them.

Amazing the things you remember thinking back on a place like the county fairgrounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment