Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Mom for the ages

We all have our relationships with our mothers.


For me, I love my Mom because she has been through thick and thin with me . She was quick to discipline, but also to love.

In recent months, we have decided not to talk politics. For me it is not I do not see her way, but I see the good that can be had if both sides work together.

You will have to ask her, but I think one of the most touching, proud moments between Mom and I, happened in the fall of 1979.

I quit Purdue after going to classes one day. I had my head so far up my butt, I was not thinking straight.

Mom told me that, but not in those words.

I enrolled at the tech college and was going to pursue a business career.

It was October, and I came home one day and she was sitting at the kitchen table.

I was standing by the kitchen counter. I recall saying something like, "Mom. If it is OK with you and Dad, I need to go back to Purdue. I see what I can do now."

She broke down and cried. Happy tears they were. She had been praying for this moment.

Mom said Dad and her believed in me and knew I could do it.

I never forget that day.

My parents were there for me through it all, but Mom was the sounding board.

Dad scared the daylights out of me. He is a quiet man, who has looks that can blast you away.

So it was Mom, who stayed at home following the birth of my older brother and I, that was the one we did most of our talking and arguing. Mom never backed down; a tough cookie she is.

All those battles helped season her for her part-time job as a lunch supervisor at my elementary school. A job she held for 25-plus years.

Mom is famous for her kick ball games she held during lunch.

To this day, someone she supervised will stop and say hi and tell her how much fun they had.

I am more than glad to have shared my Mom with the world.

We do not get to pick our parents.

God did a wonderful job of placing me.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment