Tuesday, September 12, 2017

The use of the word satisfied

I wrote a story about the police catching and arresting a man believed to be responsible for more than a half dozen incidents of flashing and masturbating in front of women.
All but one incident occurred at one of the public parks in the area. It is scenic and trails wind down to the Kankakee River.
On Sept. 5, he was apprehended after someone saw him acting weird, dashing in and out of bushes and following women.
A sexual abuse advocate was in the courtroom as well.
Afterwards she told me she was relieved they caught him. There were red flags he was getting bolder and ready to do more, meaning he was escalating or getting ready to assault victims.
After his initial court appearance, I came back from the courthouse and announced they had caught the perv.
Rather than use masturbated in the story, I used "sexually satisfied" himself.
I received an email from an attorney I know, he asked about the use of satisfied.
I answered the prosecutor used the word mastubated and the man was smiling.
I used sexually satisfied to tone down things in our little Midwest paper.
In hindsight, it might have been best to use masturbated,
Sexually satisfied sounds titillating or salacious.
It leads me to this.
It may be a good idea to not make little of these criminal activities.
This ended with the man being apprehended after trying to run down a sheriff's deputy.
The public indecency charges are misdemeanors. The aggravated assault of the officer is a felony.
There is nothing salacious or titillating about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment